I warmly welcome all parents back to the start of a new school year. I look forward to welcoming all our girls back safely from their holiday tomorrow. Girls are to wear their full summer uniform. A reminder that school times for this year are as follows:
Grade 000 – 0:
- Monday – Friday: 08:30 – 12:30
- Monday – Friday: 07:30 – 13:00
Grade 2 & 3:
- Monday & Wednesday: 07:30 – 13:15
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 07:30 – 13:00
Grade 4 -7:
- Monday and Tuesday: 07:30 – 14:15
- Wednesday: 07:30 – 13:45
- Thursday and Friday: 07:30 – 13:15
We welcome the following new families this term:
- Nomakhosi Dlamini
- Claire Moreira
- Yusra Shar
- Scarlett Howard
- Phoenix Shi
- Alyssa Eustace
- Rorisang Mamathuba
- Sophia Dyer
- Phoebe Higginson
- Kristen Benjamin
- Amy Teubes
- Mihle Ngani
- Ella de Goede
- Chloe Smith
- Kyla Roberts
- Daniela Murillo
- Siyanda Mhlongo
- Bibi Peer
- Lia Stravino
- Meagan Stewart
- Alexa Venter
- Emma Spronk
- Tessa Gutierez-Garcia
- Grace Gutierez-Garcia
- Reya Pillay
- Aamira Yousuf
- Juwayriya Sayanvala
- Roha Pillay
- Lyone Marnewick
- Fatima Peer
- Mia Stuart
- Isabella Tzitzivacos
- Soultana Tzitzivacos
- Megan Taylor
I am confident that you will embrace what Kingsmead has on offer and you will be fully supported by your teachers and peers as you make this transition.
We also welcome the following teachers this term:
- Camilla Montgomery (Grade 1L)
- Lorna Rait (Grade 2G)
- Thobile Miya (Grade 4M)
- Magda-Lize Rohde (Afrikaans specialist)
Please take note of the following important dates for the next two weeks:
- Orientation timetable:
17 January to 19 January
- Swimming time trials:
Please note the swimming trials take place in the morning as part of the orientation timetable and not in the afternoon as the previously published calendar shows. This allows time for girls to attend tennis challenges in the afternoon.
Girls to bring costumes on the relevant day as all girls in Grade 3-7 are expected to swim.
18 January – Grade 3, 4 and 5
19 January – Grade 6 and 7
- Tennis challenges:
17 January – 14:00 – 16:00
18 January – 13:45 – 16:00
19 January – 13:45 – 16:00
- Extra murals commence:
22 January – Grade 1 – 7
30 January – Grade 000 – 0
- Information evening:
18 January – 17:30 Grade 4 – 7 in the Joel Hall
23 January – 17:30 Grade 0 – 3 in the Joel Hall
All parents and guardians are expected to attend these evenings. This will be an opportunity to meet with your new class and LEAD teachers as well as the management team. The evening will start at 17:30 with an address by Mrs Lowman.
- iPad info evening:
22 January – 17:30 Grade 6 and new parents
- New girls and parents thinking orientation:
24 February – 09:00 – 11:00
Please refer to this document with regard to effective communication channels at Kingsmead Junior School. COMMUNICATION CHANNELS LINK
To ensure a positive year for all our girls, teachers and parents, please take note of the following expectations:
- We have high expectations of all our girls especially with regard to upholding the Kingsmead ethos and value system.
- All girls are expected to adhere to the code of conduct and responsibilities with regard to age appropriate behaviour both at school and outside of the school.
- This code of conduct relates to the responsible use of technology. I request that all parents and girls make themselves familiar with the IT policy in this regard.
- All girls are expected to participate in the diverse selection of academic and extracurricular activities we have on offer. There is merit to both team and individual sport participation as well as cultural and music activities.
- It is imperative that communication channels remain open and that all stakeholders (parents, teachers and girls) are engaged in the procedures and processes at Kingsmead. Please use the communication channels stipulated when you have concerns, queries or family-related news. This usually starts with your daughters’ register class teacher or LEAD teacher.
- We value our parents as partners in the education of their daughters. We will endeavor to ensure that parent functions take place at a time that accommodates most parents, most of the time. We hope that you will engage in the Kingsmead community by attending functions and events so that, in some way, you are part of the Kingsmead family too.
Wishing you all a positive, enriched experienced at Kingsmead Junior School in 2018.
Mrs Kim Lowman
Head: Junior School
Playing a musical instrument has a range of benefits for the development of young people. Click on the link below to see what some of these are:
At Kingsmead, our girls have the opportunity to enroll for lessons in a range of instruments and get involved in a numerous group music making opportunities.
The Music application form can be found on the app or email email@example.com. There is no need to reapply if your daughter was taking lessons at Kingsmead in 2017.
Music lessons will be charged at R205/half hour in 2018. Please note that all scheduled lessons are charged for unless one full week notice is given, it clashes with a school calendar event, such as an outing/tour or the teacher is absent. In the case of school matches or extra-curricular commitments, please rearrange the lesson time at least a week in advance.
Grade 2 & 3 Choir/Ukulele/Music activities
All Grade 2 & 3 girls will sing in the choir during the choir time on their timetable (12:45-13:15 on a Monday and Wednesday)
Also during the time, on a rotational basis, the Grade 2’s will have Music Enrichment classes and the Grade 3’s will learn to play the ukulele. Please note that this is not optional as it is during school time, but not at any cost to parents.
All the Grade 2’s will have the opportunity to learn to play the violin this year and the Grade 4-6’s will learn some wind instruments on a rotational basis. More information about these projects will be communicated to the relevant parents during the next week.
Music Theory classes
Music Theory classes will be offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday mornings 6:30 – 7:30 in the Beatles classroom (upstairs in the Music department). Please discuss this with your daughter’s individual instrumental/vocal lessons teacher. Girls can sign up for these classes starting on Tuesday 23 January. The cost will be divided between the number of pupils in class.
It is imperative that all our instrumental players are involved in an Ensemble or Orchestra. Our voice pupils should participate in one of the Choirs. Please consult the extracurricular schedule for rehearsal times.
Please note the following regarding the music group activities:
- BOTH practices for the Choirs, Orchestra, String and Flute Ensembles must be attended. Please do not excuse girls to leave early or miss practices, it is important that we have the whole group together at each practice. Please ensure your daughters are on time for the morning practices before school – preferably 5 minutes early to unpack their instruments.
- Marimba Ensembles – Girls should choose ONE practice and then always attend the same practice as each group functions as a team. The Grade 1’s can join the marimba ensembles in the last term.
- Glee auditions for Grade 6 & 7 will take place during the next few weeks.
- At the end of January, the registers for all groups will be finalized and after that we will expect 100% commitment and attendance.
You are welcome to contact me should you have any questions about the opportunities available in the Music Department.
Please read below for more information about the extra-curricular offering with our external service providers; should you have any more questions you are welcome to contact the relevant person directly. Please note that the activities listed below are all at an extra cost (except Debating). Payment arrangements and sign up procedures must be discussed directly with the service provider. Girls may attend and try out any of these in the first week of term and make a decision whether they wish to commit, by the end of month.
Art Club is on offer to Grade 4-7 girls on Monday afternoons by Mrs Maryanne Clegg. The cost will be R100/pupil/term and will be used to cover the necessary materials; this will be charged to the school account. We will only be able to accommodate 25 pupils on a first come first served basis. Should you have any more questions, please contact Mrs Maryanne Clegg on firstname.lastname@example.org
BALLET is offered by Denise Griffiths as per the extra-curricular schedule; she will communicate the cost and sign up information to parents.
CHESS is no longer available as the teacher unexpectedly resigned; should there be enough interest, we will find a replacement teacher.
Modern Dance is on offer on Thursdays and Fridays. Please go to the website: http://www.dmbryanston.com where you can enroll online. For more information please contact 083 600 9626 or email email@example.com
Debating is on offer to Grade 4-7 girls free of charge on Tuesday afternoons. Please see the times on the extra-curricular schedule. Contact Oliver Dickson on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Drama Club is offered to Grade 1-7 on Wednesday afternoons. This is offered by Dania Gelderblom from ‘The Playhouse’. This is a well thought-through curriculum and the girls will work towards small performances every term. Please contact Dania Gelderblomnshould you any have any queries or questions regarding the club on email@example.com OR 083 410 9299
Robotics Club is on offer on two afternoons of the week for the whole afternoon to enable girls to attend an hour at a time that suits them. Contact Jessica Govender on Jessica@ecotelligentengineering.co.za for more information.
Playball is offered to Grade 000-0 girls – a leaflet with information will be sent to all the relevant parents and the girls will have an introduction session with the coaches before the extra-curricular programme starts for these age groups. Playball will take place on the field or gym, depending on the weather. For more information, contact Nqobile Mnkandla on 072 8456 437 or firstname.lastname@example.org
POTTERY will take place on Mondays and Wednesdays in the Grade 0 block; for more information please contact Sue Kuschke on 083 449 5617 or Kiddyk@telkomsa.net
Grade 000-0 parents will receive an orange leaflet to explain what this activity entails or you can visit their website http://tumblingtigerz.co.za to find out more and see the cost and payment options. Tumbling Tigerz will take place on the field or gym, depending on the weather. The girls will have an introduction session with the coaches before the extra-curricular programme starts for these age groups. For more information, contact Daniel Butler on 072 851 3413 or email@example.com
Yoga with Yoga4kids is offered on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The sessions will take place in the LO room in the Junior School. Contact Nathalie Fagan on 084 341 2833 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Suzie Manson on 08329965555 or Suzie@yoga4kids.co.za or visit their website: www.yoga4kids.co.za
Please visit the Kingsmead App and look under ‘Arts & Music’ and ‘Extra Mural Schedule’ for more information about what we offer.
Have a happy term!
Director of Arts & Music email@example.com
JUNIOR SCHOOL EC SCHEDULES
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW