“Something more is required, something to make these dry bones live. A spirit behind them, a purpose towards which to strive, some breath, a soul and spirit so that Kingsmead may become a life-giving force in the world."
Kingsmead College was founded by educationalist Doris Vera Thompson in 1933 and opened its doors to 136 girls in 1934, with classes from Grade 1 to Post-Matriculation. Kingsmead House, the original residence on 132 Oxford Road became the centre for the new school and today houses the Executive Team and school administration offices. The first buildings were designed and built between October 1933 and the opening day.
Doris Vera Thompson helped to plan St Brigid’s Chapel on the school grounds and she considered the simple building to be the “heart of the school.” From 1939 onwards, the Boarders used the Chapel regularly until 1999, when the Boarding House was closed. Each class attends Chapel Assembly regularly during the term.