Our girls have settled and are living each day with energy and enthusiasm. The Grade 5 and 6 girls returned from camp on Friday happy and fulfilled. Thank you to the parents who supported the Junior School coding morning on Saturday. This was a morning of innovation and collaborative problem solving.
We have so much to share and celebrate this week! On Tuesday we share the gift of our school with prospective parents during our Open Day. We also conclude the process of the next level of our accreditation as a Thinking School as we welcome Professor Lena Green to our school on Tuesday.
As we look forward to Lent on the Christian calendar, our girls receive pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. Thank you to the parents for the organisation of this as a reminder to the girls of this reflective occasion. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent. It occurs 46 days (40 fasting days, if the six Sundays, which are not days of fast, are excluded) before Easter.
There are many opportunities for our girls to participate in community service this week. These include: Water Drive; Footloose Friday civvies; CHOC Valentines sales and the Grade 7 Cake and Candy. Thank you in advance for assisting our community in this regard. The various initiatives have been communicated on the App and in our newsletters. The week ahead should assist in the preparation for these events. We look forward to a week of giving and sharing.
Request from Parents
We pride our school in being a warm and welcoming environment and love that you show a presence in collecting your daughters after school and bringing them to class in the morning.
Please could we ask you to be mindful of our teaching and learning during the school day, and not visit the classes during lesson time. This naturally causes a disruption to the girls and our facilitation. If you do need to contact your child for any reason, please could you report to Reception, and Mrs Sithole will assist you from there. If you need to see a staff member, please could you contact them via email to set up an appointment, so that they are able to meet with you at a time when they are available.
As the school day for the SP finishes later than the JP on some days, parents are waiting for their girls outside the JP and SP classes for an extended period of time. These classes are losing valuable academic time due to the distraction outside. Please could you be mindful of the teaching happening when you collect your daughters after school.
We would really appreciate your support in this regard.
Head: Junior School
Tuesday 13 Feb
- 08h00 – 10h15 Open Day
- Shrove Tuesday
- C&D tennis matches @ Johannesburg Country Club vs St Katharines
Wednesday 14 Feb
- Ash Wednesday
Thursday 15 Feb
- 07h30 JP Class mother’s meeting – Conference centre
- Cycle test – Grade 5 & 6 Science; Grade 7 English Comprehension
- Tennis matches: A/B AT Kingsmead vs St Stithians; C/D AT St Stithians
Friday 16 Feb
- Whole School Footloose Friday – something blue to support CHOC (civvies)
- 07h45 JP Assembly
- Grade 7 Cake and Candy
- 10h45 SP Hymns / Chapel
- Swimming Galas
- A50 @ St Stithians
- A25 @ Pridwin
- B25 @ St Peter’s
Saturday 17 Feb
- U13 Waterpolo festival
Celebrate Valentine’s Day in blue this year and support CHOC by purchasing the following for a special someone:
- Blue Heart Chocolates for R10
- Blue heart pins for R20
- Single red rose for R20
CIVVIES DAY and FOOTLOOSE FRIDAY:
Friday 16 February is Civvies Day and Footloose Friday.
Please wear BLUE in aid of International Childhood Cancer Day.
Donate a gently worn pair of shoes (tied together with laces/elastic band) for our annual Footloose Friday collection.
CHOC pins may be worn on blazers until the end of February.
Valentine’s roses can be ordered in combination with any of the CHOC merchandise. Please use the following link to order gifts for Valentine’s day to be delivered on 14 February:
Please pay for orders at Music reception by Tuesday 13 February at 12h00.
Permanent Donation Point
We are thrilled to announce that we now have a permanent donation point for the charities we support. Drawers were installed under the stair case in the Senior School reception. The Kingsmead community can now conveniently drop off any donations (clothes, shoes, toiletries, books, blankets) that will then be distributed and donated to the charities we support.
Congratulations to the following Grade 7 girls who were selected as Captains for Diving and Equestrian.
- Captain: Lillian Turvey
- Vice-captain: Julia Aspoas
- Captain: Leeya Motara
The A/B Teams played against St Katharine’s and we managed to finish our matches before the rain started. Our girls played extremely well and won 54 – 18. Well done, girls! Keep practicing hard and please attend all the practice sessions.
ONLY the C/D teams will play.
- Opponents: St Katharine’s C/D Teams
- Venue: Johannesburg Country Club
- Time: Bus will leave at 14h15 from Kingsmead and will return at approximately 17h00, depending on the traffic.
The following girls will play:
C – Team:
- Ilani-Mari Prinsloo, Samantha Greyling-Nassi, Keratile Maboka, Emma de Kock, Kaitlyn Brown, Zoey Anderson, Zara Fleming
D – Team:
- Rachael Fifield, Caitlin Stride, Zara Fleming, Georgia Wickins, Isabeau Blackie, Jenna Holmes, Anna Lipchin.
15th February: A/B Teams:
- Opponents: St Stithians A/B Teams
- Venue: KINGSMEAD
- Time: Matches will start as soon as opponents arrive.
- Opponents: St Stithian’s C/D Teams
- Venue: ST STITHIAN’S
- Time: Bus will leave from Cecil Road Gate at 13h15 and will return to Kingsmead at approximately 16h30.
The following girls will play:
A – Team: Kristin Brown, Alexa Kohler, Anne-Marie Sutherland, Isabella Sardi, Megan Rogan, Natalie Morris
B – Team: Catherine Leppan, Morgan Kohler, Amy Dickinson, Kate Sardi, Kim Sutherland, Alison Marshall
C – Team: Ilani-Mari Prinsloo, Samantha Greyling-Nassi, Keratile Maboka, Emma de Kock, Kaitlyn Brown, Zoey Anderson, Zara Fleming
D – Team: Rachael Fifield, Caitlyn Stride, Georgia Wickins, Isabeau Blackie, Jenna Holmes, Anna Lipchin, Jemma Goussard
Information regarding TENNIS:
- Extra private tennis lessons are offered at school: Coach: Jade Pondicas; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;Cell: 071 674 2108
- NO tennis practices will be cancelled due to rain or bad weather — players will have practices in the Gym.
- ONLY the players on the tennis ladder to attend TEAM practices.
- NON-TEAM practices for Grade 4 & 5 on Mondays and Grade 6 & 7 on Wednesdays.
- Challenge matches will ONLY take place at the END of the month and NOT every week. Players can challenge up to two spots above them. (Including the reserve players.)
On Friday, 9th February, the A50m Gala was held at Kingsmead, A25m Gala was at Pridwin and the B25m swam at St Mary’s. We competed without our Grade 5 and 6 swimmers, due to the camps. The A50m and B25m galas were stopped due to the lightning warning. The results were as follows:
Well done to ALL the swimmers! Keep on training hard and please attend all the practices.
- A50m: AT St Stithian’s
- A25m: AT Pridwin
- B25m: AT St Peter’s
Transport: Buses will leave from Cecil Road Gate at 13h30 and will return to Kingsmead at approximately 17h00, depending on the traffic.
Johannesburg District 2018 Core League QUALIFIER DATES:
- Q1: 17th and 18th February
- Q2: 17th and 18th March
- Q3: 19th and 20th May
- Q4: 16th and 17th June
- Primary Schools: 28th and 29th July
- Primary Schools: During October, dates to be confirmed. For any information regarding Equestrian contact Ms Feroza Motara. Email: email@example.com
- Please note that NO EC School Activities will be cancelled due to rain and bad weather — Girls will be having practice sessions in the Gym.
- Swimming: All girls who are members of a swimming team, are NOT allowed to leave the galas until it is finished. We are a team and by staying to the end, shows unity and builds team spirit.
- Grade 0 swimmers: Please can all the grade 0 swimmers and parents take note that all the girls have to change in the change rooms and may not do so on the pool deck.
- Diving: Grade 6 & 7 diving session on Thursdays will be cancelled as from this week and the Grade 3 “Learn to Dive” will be from 13h30 to 14h30 on Thursdays.
ARTS & MUSIC NEWS
Details regarding the Extra-curricular programme have been published in the past two Junior School Newsletter and the same details will be communicated on the app.
For more information, you can also contact the service providers whose details are enclosed with the Extracurricular schedule.
Please note the minor changes:
- An Additional Marimba session on Thursdays 13:30-14:30
- Additional Art Club session for Grade 4-7 Mondays 15:30-16:30
- Chess added on Tuesdays and Fridays for Grade 1-7 and an additional session at 14:00 on a Friday.
- TUMBLING TIGERZ is a brilliant action packed activity for our Grade 000-3 girls on Tuesday afternoons – great for coordination and motor skill development. See the extra-curricular schedule for details.
- Glee for Grade 6 & 7 will start next week and will take place 13h45-14h30 on Wednesdays.
- SP String ensemble is ONLY on a Thursday at 13h30 – 14h30; Tennis players can join after tennis season.
- New additions to follow in February:
- Baby Beat: Music Classes for babies ages 1-3 Mondays: 7h45-8h15 OR 8h30-9h00 in the Rehearsal Space @Kingsmead College Music Department; For further details Contact Nicolie Smuts on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dance Mouse Tots for ages 15 – 35 months – Fridays 11h10 -11h30 for ages 15months 30 months. Fees are R600 per term and enrolment is selected form the Tots options on line at dmbryanston.com.
- ITALIAN classes: more details on the app and below.
Our Choirs, Orchestras and Ensembles have a busy term ahead with the biggest highlight of the term a showcase of all our groups on stage on the 5th of April. Save the date!
Elsabé Fourie – Director of Arts & Music
Bread tags and Bottle tops:
Continue to collect Bread tags and Bottle tops for Wheelchairs. Collection point is at the medical centre. We need 450 kg bottle tops for a wheelchair or 50 kg bread tags. We have already donated 6 wheelchairs
We weighed in December and we have enough bottle tops to donate for our 7th wheelchair .We are looking for a recipient . Please mail information to email@example.com
Keep up the good work!