Curating a literary festival of this size, while it has its challenges, is exceptionally rewarding. We are lucky to have the support of a strong and diverse team that work behind the scenes to make this day one that has firmly entrenched itself on South Africa’s literary calendar. For this incredible team we are eternally grateful.
The Kingsmead Book Fair programme was curated and crafted by a strong team of literary women who worked tirelessly to ensure a diverse and dynamic programme. We thank Kingsmead College librarian Ann Leith, acclaimed international author, Yewande Omotoso, the Sunday Times’s Michele Magwood, entrepreneur and owner of Love Books Kate Rogan and 702’s Andiswe Makanda, and curator of the Kingsmead Book Fair Children’s Programme, Lindy Truswell.
Our heart lies in the difference we make to encouraging the love of literature in young South Africans. Praise goes to the Kingsmead Book Fair Social Responsibility Team: Thenji Moyo, Lyndsay Barr, Sandy Muller, Gill Sardi and Janet Kohler, for sorting, packing and distributing the previously loved books from the “Book Drive”.
We thank Kingsmead College Head of Service, Jenny Venter, for working with the Kingsmead student volunteers on the day.
Immense gratitude to:
- 702’s Alastair Teeling-Smith, Standard Bank – Wealth and Investment’s Shaun Kotwal, Porcupine Ridge’s Marc Kent and Timberland’s Moosa Yousoef Mayet;
- Alex Bouche and Kerry Nagel of Pink Peppercorn for logistics and event management;
- Caroline Leppan, who once again managed the food and drinks vendors with aplomb;
- Nick Schilperoort and Kim Podmore at Xfacta for our fabulous marketing campaign;
- Sarah Gurney (Pomegranite) for our wonderful website and social media campaign;
- Brenda Caplen for our interactive and brilliant App
- The Webtickets team, lead by Zama Bekwa;
- Kingsmead’s Human Resource Manager, Bridgit Miller, for organising the venue co-ordinators for the day;
- Our esteemed Master of Ceremonies: Dave Thomas;
- Our tireless travel agent, Carol Eedes (Alphabet Travel) for the seamless booking of flights and Holiday Inn accommodation;
- Janet Kohler and her team of junior school parents, for the dashing décor;
- Samantha Southey of Chalk Studi for decorating the stages;
- Leigh Jackman and Justin Schweizer, from Exclusive Books, for the pop-up shop and for ordering the stash of books;
- Tania O’Maker and Kareema Ismail, for your support with the logistics of the Children’s Programme;
- Kingsmead’s facilities manager Geraldine Church and Cyril Mitchley for all the work from you and your teams;
- Palesa Mpeke in the Marketing Department, Lora Foot and Syrex Intranets for IT support and Maureen Ellis for an impeccable JOC report;
- Derek Hird and Vicky Rondina for the endless stream of payments in accounts.
- Our signature event would not be possible without the unwavering support of the Head of College, Lisa Kaplan, Headmistress of the Junior School, Kim Lowman, Chairman of Council, Bev Bouwer and Chairman of the PTA, Rizwana Bawa.